#YoungTeam is the educational project of Long Division CIC and is focussed on developing creative talent and cultural interest within young people. The core #YoungTeam experience is a part-time five month course aimed at 16 & 17 year olds, helping them achieve a Silver Level Arts Award (equivalent to a GCSE), awarded by Trinity College London. Our 2019 pilot received national coverage in The Guardian. Long Division is also developing entry level Discover and Explore level Arts Awards.
The #YoungTeam experience involves working directly with the Long Division Festival team, including Festival Director Dean Freeman. It’s key focus is offering the skills and knowledge to create “DIY Events” – this could encompass the skills needed to put on a small gig or exhibition, but also extends to larger scale events such as Long Division Festival. The programme as a whole explores in detail the many career paths and opportunities within the creative industries.
In order to earn their qualification, participants will undertake creative and leadership based challenges and build a portfolio of their experiences, which is then given a pass / fail grade at the end of the process.
The aims of the programme include:
- Build an awareness in the young people of Wakefield as a cultural destination and the creative, academic and employment opportunities that exist in the city.
- Directly engage participants with live events in Wakefield, encouraging attendance at a range of cultural activities followed by reflection and assessment.
- Offer direct knowledge and insight into DIY Culture; specifically how to organise and run events and be an independent artists, creative or promoter.
- Network building through development of relationships with local creatives with inspiring stories.
- Visits to Open Days / special tours of highly regarded educational and business locations in West Yorkshire, in order to offer insights into potential future careers or educational routes.
- Build confidence in existing abilities and offer a welcoming forum to develop new skills and seek new opportunities.
#YoungTeam is free to participants. It is funded by Arts Council England and Wakefield Community Foundation.
For more detailed examples of what #YoungTeam involves, take a look at what #YoungTeam 2019 experienced. As part of our evaluation, all graduates felt that the programme had improved their career prospects, offered them something different to mainstream education. had encouraged them to create their own events in future and wanted to continue to work with Long Division post #YoungTeam.